The cost of renting has reached an all-time high. Nationwide, the average rent equaled $1,412 in August 2018, up 3.1% year-over-year, with rents increasing in 89% of the nation’s biggest cities, according to RENTCafÃ©’s Apartment Market Report for August 2018. This is the fastest annual increase in rent costs in 18 months!
How does Florida stack up? Two Central Florida cities were at the top of the report for having some of the fastest-rising rental costs in the nation, with rent prices rising at more than twice the rate of the national average. In Orlando, rent costs are rising faster than in any of the other 20 cities included in the report. Orlando renters saw a 7.7% increase in rent prices over the last year, with average rent reaching $1,393 in August. And, Tampa saw the third-highest rent cost increases nationwide, with the average cost of rent rising 6.4% in the past year. As of August, the average rent in Tampa was $1,287.
To compile the report, RENTCafÃ©’s research team analyzed rent data across the 252 largest cities in the US. The report exclusively references apartment data related to buildings containing 50 or more units. This report includes cities with populations over 100,000 and a rental stock of at least 2,900 apartments in 50+-unit buildings. Rent data was provided by Yardi Matrix, a business development and asset management tool for brokers, sponsors, banks and equity sources. The rental rates used refer to Market Rate properties only, meaning apartments with no rent restrictions. Fully Affordable properties are not included in the Yardi Matrix rental surveys and are not reported in rental rate averages.
With rent costs increasing in Florida, now is a great time to move away from renting and move into a home of your very own! With mortgage rates still at historic lows, low down payment mortgage options (and Florida down payment assistance programs), and Orlando and Tampa new homes available with prices starting from the $180’s, you can own a new home in Orlando or Tampa for less than the cost of renting!
For example, if your purchase a new home in Tampa priced at $180,000, with an FHA 30-year fixed mortgage with a 3.5% down payment and 4.90% interest rate, your monthly mortgage payment is under $1,300 total including property taxes, homeowners insurance, and FHA required PMI. And when you own instead of renting, with a fixed-rate mortgage your monthly payment will stay the same year after year, instead of rising at historic speeds like the rent prices are. Home ownership also provides tax benefits and the ability to build wealth through equity in your home. Perhaps best of all, you are investing in your own home and future rather than your landlord's!
As a Florida home builder, we would be honored to help you find the new home of your dreams and save money when compared to rising rents!
In metro Orlando, Gramercy Farms offers new homes in St. Cloud with prices starting from the $220’s. Located just moments away from the Florida Turnpike and Highway 192, enjoy a desirable location, community amenities and beautiful lake views, plus choose from more than 10 home plans designed for your life! Gramercy Farms is the place to call home in Orlando.
If you are looking for a home in Tampa, choose from four unique communities with distinct home designs and sought-after locations:
- Build your Tampa new home at Symmes Cove! With prices from the $200’s, these single-family homes in Gibsonton offer on-trend home design in a laid-back locale just 14-miles from downtown Tampa, and minutes from the glistening waters of Hillsborough Bay, the Alafia River, and Apollo Beach.
- Enjoy the ease of townhome living at Tuscany Bay, also located in Gibsonton. Luxurious townhomes at Tuscany Bay are priced from the $180’s and offer you up to 1,801 square feet of living space with a modern open layout, gourmet kitchen, and three bedrooms including a spacious master suite. Plus, enjoy the convenience of a 1-car garage, outdoor living on your private covered lanai, and desirable amenities including a gated community entrance, pool, and common areas.
- In Riverview, luxurious townhomes at Landings at Alafia are also priced from the $180’s. With modern open layouts and gourmet kitchens, these three-bedroom townhomes and the luxurious community amenities are sure to make you quickly forget about apartment living.
- To the north of Tampa, find your new home in Zephyrhills at Stonebridge at Chapel Creek! Located off Elland Blvd. near SR 54 and Highway 301 for convenient travel throughout Tampa Bay, single-family homes are priced from the $210's and offer beautiful nature views, spacious home designs with up to 3,141 sq. ft. of living space designed for your life, and future amenities including a pool, dog park, playground and more!
Ready to stop spending your hard-earned money on ever-increasing rent prices? Contact our New Home Specialists by calling 863-797-4999 or emailing us and take the first step towards owning your very own home in Orlando or Tampa!
Tags: Orlando new homes in Orlando rent vs buy Tampa new homes Tampa new home new home in Orlando buy vs rent own vs rent new home tampa New Homes
- Auburn Cove (1)
- Communities (481)
- - Aviary at Rutland Ranch (5)
- - Boyette Fields (5)
- - Bradford Manor (8)
- - Breakwater Cove (2)
- - Canopy Reserve (1)
- - Casara (4)
- - Devinshire Estates (3)
- - Gramercy Farms (10)
- - Highland Meadows (18)
- - Highlands Grace (6)
- - Juliana Village (4)
- - Kingsland Country Estates (6)
- - Lakeside Preserve (4)
- - Laurelwood Landing (1)
- - Monticelli at Tower Lake (2)
- - Normandy Heights (4)
- - Palmer Place (8)
- - Preakness Preserve (1)
- - Sandy Pines (2)
- - Stonebridge at Chapel Creek (12)
- - Summercrest (3)
- - The Lakes (6)
- - Towne Park Estates (14)
- - Tuscany Bay (13)
- - Wilder Oaks (5)
- Design and Decorating (117)
- Events (163)
- General Info (401)
- Home Buying 101 (73)
- News (446)
- The Experience of Building My Highland Home (10)
- Videos (11)
- Why Buy New (32)
Recent PostsInventory Blowout: Save on Move-In Ready Homes in Florida
Come Home to the ‘Center of the Universe’ in Parrish, FL
Homes in Auburndale Offer Laid-Back Locale, City Access
Best Places to Retire in the U.S.
The Best Halloween Décor for Your Florida Home in 2019