Honor Our Military Heroes with Memorial Day Celebrations in Central Florida
For some, Memorial Day weekend means the end of the school year, a long-awaited trip to the beach, or that first boat ride on the lake. While you may be eager to get your summer fun started, it’s important to recognize all of the honorable men and women who have served our beautiful country.
Here’s a list of some fun ways to celebrate Memorial Day 2016, just minutes away from your Central Florida home:
- May 21 – Inaugural Fallen Heroes Memorial 5K: Make your way over to the Lakeland Police Foundation’s first annual Fallen Heroes 5K at the Lakeland Family YMCA. A nice jog through the relaxing scenery of Three Parks Trail will help to support law enforcement and fundraise for the Fallen Heroes Memorial.
- May 30 – Memorial Day Water Ski Show: Stop by Lake Silver in Winter Haven to see the daring tricks the Cypress Gardens Water Ski Team has to offer at this free show!
- May 30 – 11th Annual Memorial Day Tribute: Join the Polk County Veterans Council at the Lakeland Funeral Home & Memorial Gardens in honor of those who made the ultimate sacrifice. This 11th annual tribute will feature patriotic music, a color and honor guard, a roaring motorcycle parade, a dove release and more. After, enjoy a delicious free barbeque lunch catered by Central Florida’s BBQ Grand Champions, 2nd Hand Smoke.
Elsewhere in Polk County
- May 28 – Fort Meade Memorial Service: Fort Meade Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 11179 will be conducting a Memorial Service to commemorate our fallen heroes. Veterans Sr. Vice Commander Bill Lambert and Polk County Commissioner Melony Bell will each present their powerful stories. After the service, purchase a $5 plate lunch to help raise money for the local Veteran’s assistance program.
- May 30 – Memorial Day Carillon Concerts: Bok Tower Gardens will honor our nation’s veterans and members of America’s armed forces with the beautiful chimes of the 60-bell carillon musical salute at its world-famous Singing Tower.
Anytime – Epcot’s American Adventure: Make your way down to Epcot’s American Pavilion at Disney World to see this audio-animatronic show come to life and tell the story of a family driven apart by the Civil War. After the show, listen to the inspiring Voices of Liberty Acapella Group singing classic American songs.
- May 27-30 – Disney Memorial Day Soccer Shootout: Disney celebrates Memorial each year at ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex with a huge 3-day soccer tournament. Join Mickey, his friends, and more than 650 teams as they compete for the big prize!
- May 27-28 – Central Florida’s BBQ Blowout: Grab a bite to eat and celebrate your freedom at Oviedo Mall! Taste food from more than 25 different BBQ teams and more than 80 different vendors while supporting a local community non-profit and enjoying live music and entertainment.
- May 30 – Memorial Day Parade and Remembrance Ceremony: Check out Downtown Sanford on First Street to see this beautiful parade decked out in red, white, and blue.
- May 30 – Orlando Eye: Take a ride on Orlando’s largest Ferris wheel, the Orlando Eye. On Memorial Day this towering Ferris wheel will be decked out in red, white, and blue lights!
- May 30 – Apopka Memorial Day Celebration: Honor our veterans at Edgewood Cemetery followed by refreshments at the Apopka Community Center sponsored by the City of Apopka and VFW Post 10147.
- May 30 – Traditional Memorial Day Observance at the Lady Lake Cemetery: Members of American Legion Post 347 observes Memorial Day each year with a traditional service at the Lady Lake Cemetery.
- May 28-29 – Memorial Day Heat Wave: Celebrate your freedom and enjoy this family friendly, tropical-themed dance party at the Glazer Children’s Museum!
- May 29 – Light Up Tampa Bay Memorial Day Weekend Celebration: Celebrate our fallen heroes at Channelside Bay Plaza with live music, entertainment, family-friendly activities and the Bay area’s largest summer holiday fireworks display.
- May 30 – Florida Orchestra Pops: A Stars and Stripes Hit Parade: The Florida Orchestra performs “their most patriotic show yet” at the Mahaffey Theater! This live concert will feature traditional American songs like “Yankee Doodle”, “Washington Post March”, and the “Armed Forces Salute.”
- May 30 – Memorial Day Ceremony: Join the Manatee County Veterans’ Council for a ceremony at Veterans’ Monument Park near Bradenton Riverwalk.
- May 30 – Annual Sarasota Memorial Day Parade: Marching units will include veteran service organizations, law enforcement agencies, fire departments and their color guards, civic organizations, high school bands and ROTC units and historical military equipment. Immediately following the parade will be a ceremony at Hamel Park.
This Memorial Day weekend, take some time to celebrate the true reason for Memorial Day, then celebrate the holiday with a day on the water, at the park, or relaxing on the beach with family or friends – our conveniently-located new home communities in Florida are near some of the Sunshine State’s best natural attractions and white-sand beaches.
At Highland Homes, we are thankful for those who have given their lives in the line of duty, all our active and retired military personnel, and the service they gave to our country for our freedom. Veterans and active-duty military personnel are invited to take advantage of wonderful VA Home Loan opportunities when purchasing their American Dream home. Visit the Highland Homes website and call our Florida New Home Specialists at 863-797-4999 to tour a model home and start designing your new Florida home today.