Frequently Asked Questions
Below are some questions we've frequently been asked over the years, as well as information about what sets Highland Homes apart. We hope this helps provide clarification on your journey to homeownership!
If you do not see the answer to your question about building with Highland Homes, Contact Us anytime, we are here to help!
- How long has Highland Homes been building homes in Florida?
- Where does Highland Homes build?
- What makes Highland Homes unique?
- How do I choose the right home plan?
- Can we customize your home plans?
- What options are available to personalize my new home?
- Do I need a Realtor to buy from Highland Homes?
- How much do I need for a down payment?
- Can you help us with financing?
- How do I get qualified to buy a home?
- What can I expect during the construction process?
- Is there a warranty on my new home?
- I'm interested in purchasing a Highland home. What do I do next?
How long has Highland Homes been building homes in Florida?
Highland Homes was founded in 1996, father and son, Robert J. and D. Joel Adams, who have more than 60 years of combined experience building quality new homes in Florida. Since our inception, we have been dedicated to building homes to the highest quality standards for the highest level of customer satisfaction and have helped greater than 12,000 Florida homeowners achieve their new home dreams.
Where does Highland Homes build?
We build beautiful new homes in Central, North Central, Southwest, and Tampa Bay, Florida. Use our interactive map of communities to find your new home in Florida.
What makes Highland Homes unique?
There are several facets that make Highland Homes a unique and respected company, but none is more important than our focus on customer satisfaction and the relationships we build with our homeowners.
When you build with Highland Homes, you can expect to receive personal attention throughout the building process, and our goal is to make the purchase of your new home easy and exciting.
Here are some factors our customers have told us were important in their decision to build with Highland Homes:
1) Quality and choice
We build more than 30 home plans with a variety of layouts and price points to meet the needs of Florida home buyers, whether you are looking for your first home, your next home, or your forever home.
One of the biggest things that sets Highland Homes apart from other home builders is the Highland Homes Personal Selection Studio, where you will work with a professional designer to bring your dream home to life and personalize it to your unique style and needs. Choose from high-quality, name-brand features with hundreds of options available at every price point, from included and no additional cost to luxurious upgrades.
2) The people
Highland Homes was founded with a commitment to excellence, both to our team members and customers. When employees enjoy and receive fulfillment from their job, that shows in every interaction. We live and work in the communities where we build, so our customers are our neighbors and friends and we provide personal customer service to each and every one. From our sales professionals to personal builders to administrative support in our corporate office, our dedicated team members are based locally in Florida and we are always available to answer questions and provide support during the home-building process.
We build Florida new homes in desirable neighborhoods throughout Central, North Central, Southwest, and Tampa Bay, Florida. Browse an interactive map and complete listing of Highland Homes' Florida neighborhoods.
How do I choose the right home plan?
Finding a home that you love is, for most, one of the biggest factors in deciding to build your new home - there are so many more options available, with modern features for your modern life, when compared with resale homes! Because the right home is different for every person, we offer a wide variety of home sizes and layouts including popular features such as open living areas, flexible-use rooms, and private owner's suites, built-in storage solutions such as walk-in pantries, linen closets, and drop zones, along with front porches and covered lanais providing desirable outdoor living space.
When choosing the right home plan, think about things such as:
- Who is going to live in the home, and what sort of space do they need?
- Do you prefer a ranch/single-story, or two-story home?
- Do you need space for a home office?
- What's on your must-have list? These are things you can't compromise on, such as the number of bedrooms you need.
- What's on your wish list? These are items you would like but could live without if all your must-haves are met.
- Do you see your needs changing within the next 5 years? If so, consider finding a home in anticipation of your future needs.
Each neighborhood we build in is unique as to the home plans offered due to factors such as home site dimensions, zoning regulations, HOA covenants, and the overall design of the community. Tools on our website can help you start narrowing in on the perfect new home for your needs:
- Browse home plans available in each Florida new home community - Each plan offers visualization tools such as:
- Interactive floor plans that let you select plan options to customize your layout, see how furniture might fit in different rooms, and save your customized plan so you can refer back to it later.
- 360 virtual tours allow you to virtually walk through, look around, and feel as though you are touring a home, without leaving your sofa or chair.
- Photos and videos give you a feel for the layout, size, and varied decor styles.
- Our online Inspiration Gallery showcases homes built by Highland Homes and let's you ♥ Save your favorite design inspo.
Last but certainly not least - We are here to help you find the perfect home! Call or Email to connect with a New Home Specialist, and a visit to a Highland Homes model center can help you finalize your decision as to which home plan is perfect for you. Our New Home Specialists will take into consideration your new home must-haves, wish list, and budget, and make recommendations as to which home best fits your needs.
Can we customize your home plans?
It depends on what you mean by "customize". When you build your new home from the ground up, we are able to specify how the home should be built through your selection of:
- Pre-designed plan options, such as:
- A bedroom in lieu of a den or loft
- An in-law suite
- Optional bathroom and kitchen orientations
- Adding an optional bath
- Adding an under-truss lanai, if not included in the home plan
- Garage depth extensions
- ADA-related options, such as:
- Widening doorways
- Creating a roll-in shower
- Removing steps for accessibility purposes
- Additional concrete (driveway, additional pad, patio, etc.)
- Changing types of doors/windows and adding optional doors/windows
- Plumbing, electrical, and pre-wire locations
- Colors, features, and finishes with a wide array of home design options available to personalize every room of your new home!
Please note, there may be a price associated with any allowable modifications, specifications, or design upgrade options, and all building code regulations, homesite requirements, and HOA requirements must be followed.
What options are available to personalize my new home?
At the Highland Homes Personal Selection Studio, you will find everything you need to personalize your new home, inside and out. Hundreds of options are available to choose from in every price point, from included and no additional cost to luxurious upgrades, including a great selection of:
- Home audio
- Energy-efficiency products
- ...and much more.
Interested in previewing some of the home design options available to personalize your dream home? Visit our online Inspiration Gallery to browse photos of beautiful homes built by Highland Homes, see a list of design options in each photo, and even Favorite room looks and individual options that you love so you can come back and look at them again, as well as share them with your Design Consultant when you visit the Studio to personalize your dream home!
Do I need a Realtor to buy from Highland Homes?
We love working with Florida Realtors which means if you have a real estate agent, we will make sure both you and they are 100% satisfied with the experience of buying with Highland Homes.
If, however, are not currently working with a real estate agent, our New Home Specialists are here to guide you through the process of buying or building your new home in Florida. They will take the time to get to know you and will help you select the right community, home site, home plan, and financing program for your needs. Our dedicated team will be there for you for during every step in the process. That's value. That's Highland Homes.
How much do I need for a down payment?
It varies depending on your personal financial situation and the loan program you qualify for, but in general, you can probably purchase your new home in Florida with less money down than you think - For some finance types, you may even be able to purchase with just an earnest money deposit at the time of contract and no additional down payment at closing!
We suggest reading this blog article for more information on the topic:
Can you help us with financing?
Absolutely, positively, yes! To help take out the guesswork and provide you with the best financing options and the highest level of service, Highland Homes works with a network of quality Lender Partners - Click here to learn more as well as get pre-qualified to purchase your dream home!
How do I get qualified to buy a home?
Discover your buying power by getting pre-qualified through a Highland Homes Lender Partner! It's as simple as completing an easy online application where you will provide information about your finances and consent to a credit check, and the lender will provide you with an estimate of what you might be able to borrow based on the information you have provided.
What can I expect during the construction process?
Before the construction of your home begins, you will be assigned a Personal Builder who not only oversees the construction and ensures your home is built to the highest standards but also keeps you informed throughout the building process.
The steps of the construction process include:
- An orientation with your Personal Builder
- Building the foundation
- A mid-construction meeting with your Builder
- Trim out
Get more details about each stage and learn more about the building experience on our Construction Process page.
Is there a warranty on my new home?
There's more than a warranty on your new home - your Highland home includes multiples levels of warranty protection:
- A one-year builder warranty;
- A 2-10 Home Buyers Warranty, providing ten full years of structural defect coverage;
- And, manufacturer warranties on products from lighting to flooring and appliances!
We know the purchase of a home is one of the single largest investments most families will ever make, and we want to help protect your investment and love life in your home for many years to come! Learn more about the Highland Homes Warranty Protection included on your new home!
I'm interested in purchasing a Highland home. What do I do next?
Make an appointment to visit your favorite community today by clicking the Call or Email tabs at the bottom of the screen, or scheduling an appointment online from the community page! Our New Home Specialists look forward to showing you the community and helping you to find the perfect new home to match your lifestyle, budget, and needs.