The Highland Homes model home at Wind Meadows in Bartow, Fla. is a little over 7-years-old and was ready for an updated look. Like most people and companies, we try to spend our money wisely, so sticking to a budget is very important to us when embarking upon a model redecorating project. In fact, the two most important goals when we update a home are to stay within budget and have a clear plan for the final look of the home.
To stick to those goals, here are my top ten tips for redecorating a home:
- Paint is #1! Not only is it easy and inexpensive to do, but it can make a huge overall impact. In this particular home, I decided to paint the whole home one neutral color, and added accent walls and trim detail in different rooms.
- Walk the home room by room to determine what furniture and accessories you are going to keep as this will influence your paint color choices.
- When possible, reuse your current furniture and just switch out paint and accessories. It’s amazing how much new linens can change the look of a bedroom set! If a sofa is in good shape, but you do not like the fabric, consider using a slip cover rather than replacing the entire piece. Moving furniture to different areas of a room can also help update the layout.
- Take pictures of every room, as-is. Once I went back through the photos, I noticed common colors in each room of greens, golds and reds and decided to stick with the same hues for paint accents.
- Visit a paint store to get samples of the paint colors you would like, and take them home to see how they look with your homes lighting and the furnishings that you are reusing.
- Sell any furniture you are not planning to reuse. Consignment shops, such-as The Room Exchange in Land O Lakes, Fla. (who we used for this project) can give you an offer for your furnishings and you can use that quote to help decide how much additional money you need in your budget to complete the project.
- Complete your paint and trim work before your new furniture is delivered. It’s so much easier to paint without furniture in the way.
- Shop smart by utilizing discount stores such as Ross, Target, Hobby Lobby, HomeGoods and Old Time Pottery for accessories. Buying one piece at a time when you see it on sale helps to save money over purchasing everything at regular price, just to get the shopping done.
- Window treatments and linens can customize a room’s look without spending a lot of money. Select your bedding first, since that can often be more difficult to get customized, then select or design custom window treatment to coordinate. Window Trends of Tampa does our window treatments. This model home was in need of lighter and brighter fabrics, I showed Window Trends the new bedding I purchased and they designed the perfect accent for every window.
- Add a “wow쳌 factor to every room. In this model, adding a trim ribbon of chalkboard paint in the boy’s room created a fun, new look.
After a few weeks of designing, shopping and installing, this redecorated model home in Bartow is now complete and ready for home shoppers to enjoy! The model center at Wind Meadows is open 7-days a week and we invite you to visit us and see the new dÃ©cor first-hand.
Highland Homes builds new homes in Central Florida, Ocala, Manatee County, the Orlando area and Tampa Bay. Visit the Highland Homes website for more information and directions to Wind Meadows, as well as our other beautiful new home communities.
Tags: new homes in Bartow new home New Homes
- Auburn Cove (1)
- Communities (482)
- - Aviary at Rutland Ranch (6)
- - Boyette Fields (5)
- - Bradford Manor (8)
- - Breakwater Cove (2)
- - Canopy Reserve (1)
- - Casara (4)
- - Devinshire Estates (3)
- - Gramercy Farms (10)
- - Highland Meadows (18)
- - Highlands Grace (6)
- - Juliana Village (4)
- - Kingsland Country Estates (6)
- - Lakeside Preserve (4)
- - Laurelwood Landing (1)
- - Monticelli at Tower Lake (2)
- - Normandy Heights (4)
- - Palmer Place (8)
- - Preakness Preserve (1)
- - Sandy Pines (2)
- - Stonebridge at Chapel Creek (12)
- - Summercrest (3)
- - The Lakes (6)
- - Towne Park Estates (14)
- - Tuscany Bay (13)
- - Wilder Oaks (5)
- Design and Decorating (117)
- Events (164)
- General Info (401)
- Home Buying 101 (73)
- News (447)
- The Experience of Building My Highland Home (10)
- Videos (11)
- Why Buy New (32)
Recent PostsYou’re Invited: Grand Opening of New Homes in Parrish, FL
Inventory Blowout: Save on Move-In Ready Homes in Florida
Come Home to the ‘Center of the Universe’ in Parrish, FL
Homes in Auburndale Offer Laid-Back Locale, City Access
Best Places to Retire in the U.S.