Welcome to Auburndale, Florida, a charming small city in Central Florida! Centrally located in Polk County off the Interstate 4 corridor, Auburndale is popular with home buyers thanks to its location convenient to big city amenities and Florida’s world-class theme park attractions, as well as plenty to do close to home with an abundance of parks, lakes, and trails.
While its location offers easy access to so much, Auburndale is still best known for its laid-back, Old Florida vibe, with the scent of orange blossoms perfuming the air and a slower pace of life than what you’ll experience in a big city. If this sounds like the Florida lifestyle you’ve been looking for, here are 8 reasons you’ll want to make your new home in Auburndale, FL!
1. Small-Town Lifestyle with Convenience to Big Cities
While Auburndale itself exudes small-town vibes, one of the benefits of calling Auburndale home is the convenience of nearby cities for both employment and entertainment. With its location off I-4, along with access to US-92 and the Polk Parkway, living in Auburndale places you within about 10 miles of Lakeland, and approximately 40 miles from both downtown Orlando and Tampa.
This means you’ll enjoy living in a laid-back, Old Florida community with a slower pace of life, while still having access to all that the big cities offer, from recreation and entertainment to major employment centers and cultural destinations. Enjoy life just a short drive from some of the world’s best theme parks (more on that below), as well as excellent dining, professional sports, and even Gulf Coast beaches – you’ll never get bored when you live in Central Florida (unless that's exactly the slow pace kind of weekend you want to enjoy).
And when it’s time to return to work on Monday morning, you’ll be pleased with how easy it is to reach major employment centers and top employers in the region:
- Healthcare is a major industry in Polk County, with multiple hospitals and medical centers nearby, including Lakeland Regional Health and AdventHealth Heart of Florida Hospital.
- Publix is based in Lakeland and has multiple manufacturing and warehouse facilities nearby, as does Amazon, and the I-4 corridor is rich with logistics facilities since it runs from coast to coast.
- The tourism and hospitality industries are big economic drivers in Central Florida.
- And, the I-4 corridor is known as Central Florida’s tech corridor, rich with industries from aerospace to medical technologies.
That brings us to #2…
2. Florida’s Center for Tech Education and Innovation
Auburndale is home to the state’s only polytechnic school, Florida Polytechnic University. Florida Poly is ranked as the No. 1 public college in the region and is one of the top 30 public engineering programs without a Ph. D. in the country according to U.S. News & World Report.
Not only does the school provide an excellent education (as well as employment opportunities for educators), Florida Poly and the city of Auburndale have the distinct geographic advantage of being located within 60 miles of 70% of Florida’s technology companies, allowing the school to partner with large space and tech industry employers in Central Florida.
Such partnerships include the creation of the Advanced Mobility Institute and SunTrax research park developed with the Florida Department of Transportation and Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise, which focus on the evolution of connected and autonomous vehicles (aka Tesla’s and other self-driving automobiles). Florida Poly students with researchers on the development and testing of emerging transportation technologies in a safe and controlled environment, securing Florida's future as a leader in automated transportation technology.
3. Live the Ultimate Lake Life
Auburndale’s location in the heart of Florida means it’s full of sparkling lakes. The many lakes range in size, offering opportunities for boating, watersports, fishing, or simply spending the day lakeside!
Auburndale lakes with public access include:
- Lake Ariana, featuring a lakeside park with green space, pavilions with picnic tables, and a sidewalk for strolling the beautiful grounds.
- Lake Juliana, which is home to a public boat ramp so you can enjoy the lake’s expansive waters for fishing and fun.
- Lake Lena, popular public lake for fishing and waterskiing.
- Lake Mariana
- Lake Myrtle, home to the Elite Cable Park (read more on this exciting destination below)
- Lake Tennessee
Plus, a multitude of other lakes are located just outside of the city limits, including Winter Haven’s famed Chain of Lakes, a unique water system of canal-connected lakes (16 in the southern Chain and 8 in the northern Chain) that lets you boat from one side of the city to the other, while stopping to dine and drink at shoreside restaurants.
Neighboring Winter Haven is known as the water ski capital of the world, and Auburndale offers something even more unique…
4. World Class Watersports at Elite Cable Park
Located on Lake Myrtle, this full-sized cable park is designed for wakeboarders of every skill level. Beginners can enjoy one-on-one lessons with a professional coach on the “Little Bro” cable system, while experienced riders can hit the full-sized cable system with UNIT features including jumps, ramps, and rails for learning new tricks or showing off your skills!
In addition to wakeboarding, the park also allows you to try your hand at waterskiing, wakeskating, and kneeboarding. The cable park is also home to a summer camp program for kids aged 9 to 15 who are interested in spending even more time in the water!
And when you’ve worked up an appetite, the wake park has you covered at Tantrums Lakeside Grill, serving up sandwiches, tacos, seafood baskets, and rice bowls, as well as a variety of cold treats – the perfect recipe after a day of action on the water!
New to watersports? No worries! Elite Cable Park has an onsite Pro Shop that will ensure you have everything you need before getting started, including boards, helmets, life vests, and more. They even offer memberships for frequent riders, which you may need after you fall in love with this quintessential Florida watersport.
5. City of Auburndale Parks and Recreation
It’s not all water – Florida’s sunshine and balmy temperatures allow for lovely greenspaces that are enjoyable all year round. When you own a new home in Auburndale, you’ll be close to some of our favorite parks in the city:
- Downtown City Park: Located in the heart of downtown Auburndale, this city park includes a vibrant playground area, a historic bandstand, and the Historic Depot. The park is also home to the Auburndale Rotary Butterfly Garden, which includes a colorful display of Florida-friendly plants that host and attract butterflies to the area!
- Lake Ariana Park/Mac’s Beach: As we mentioned above, Lake Ariana has its own waterfront park with green space, a playground, and picnic pavilions - and even more unique, it features a sandy public beach! While many know it as Auburndale City Beach or Max Beach, the official name is actually Mac’s Beach (according to the city website). The park and lake are also popular for water activities, and host a fishing pier and boat launch.
- Lake Myrtle Sports Complex: This premier sporting destination is home to a variety of athletic fields including baseball and soccer fields, and hosts all kinds of events, from youth sporting events to collegiate tournaments. It’s also the home park of the Florida Youth Soccer Association and the Polk County Sports Hall of Fame.
- Auburndale Dog Park: Auburndale isn’t only for humans - This paw-sitively exciting dog park features two separate play areas for large and small dogs. Each area includes exercise and play equipment for your furry friend, as well as benches and shaded areas for you to relax.
6. Access to the Auburndale TECO Trail
Are you an exercise or outdoor enthusiast? Then you will love having access to the Auburndale TECO Trail, a 6.6-mile paved trail ideal for biking, walking, running, skating, and even nature watching! The trail begins at Denton Avenue near Lake Myrtle and heads north into Polk City where it connects with the General James A. Van Fleet Trail. It also passes through Lake Myrtle Sports Park and provides access to the Auburndale Dog Park!
The best part about the trail? Both of our new home communities in Auburndale feature direct access to the trail, meaning you can enjoy it right from home!
7. Convenience to Theme Parks and Attractions
One of the top reasons to call Auburndale home? World-class attractions right in your own backyard!
LEGOLAND Florida is the nearest theme park resort, located in neighboring Winter Haven. The resort is home to three unique parks:
- The LEGOLAND Theme Park brings Legos to life and boasts more than 50 rides, shows, and attractions for children.
- The LEGOLAND Water Park is the perfect spot to splash the day away, whether floating on the lazy river or getting an adrenaline rush on slides.
- The Peppa Pig Theme Park offers rides, attractions, and shows centered around the brilliant world of Peppa.
In addition to LEGOLAND, Auburndale is also a short drive from the world’s top theme parks, including:
- Walt Disney World Resort – 25 miles
- SeaWorld Orlando – 35 miles
- Universal Orlando Resort – 40 miles
8. Stunning New Homes in Auburndale, FL
The last item on our list includes TWO reasons to call Auburndale home – Beautiful new homes at Auburn Cove and Enclave at Lake Myrtle!
Located just two miles from I-4 and adjacent to the Auburndale TECO Trail, these new homes in Auburndale, FL are convenient to all the great things we mentioned about Auburndale!
And, when you call Auburn Cove home, you don’t have to leave the neighborhood to enjoy the great outdoors and recreation thanks to amenities within the community:
- Trail loop around a peaceful pond
- Open multi-purpose field
- Dog park with separate areas for large and small dogs to play, benches for relaxing while Fido plays, and water stations
- Access to the Auburndale TECO Trail
New homes at Auburn Cove are priced from the low $300’s and include 1,715 to 2,487 square feet of living space with 3 or 4 bedrooms, spacious, open living areas, and a private owner’s suite, along with a 2- and 3-car garage and a front porch and/or covered lanai for outdoor living enjoyment. A limited number of homes are adjacent to open space and wetlands, providing backyard privacy and peaceful views.
Enclave at Lake Myrtle
Situated off the TECO Trail between two of the parks mentioned above - Lake Myrtle Sports Park and Auburndale Dog Park -this parkside community has limited availability remaining thanks to its beautiful homes and an enviable location within easy reach of recreation, highways, and more!
Homes at Enclave at Lake Myrtle are priced from the high $200’s with 3 to 6 bedrooms throughout 1,301 to 2,005 square feet of living space, with open-concept layouts, a private owner’s suite, and flexible-use rooms. Select homes are located adjacent to open space, providing peaceful backyard privacy.
The community offers exclusive access to the Auburndale TECO Trail and is just a 3-minute walk to Lake Myrtle Sports Complex and the Auburndale Dog Park, making it the ideal community for dog lovers, sports enthusiasts, or anyone who values living in a parkside setting. The community is also just 2 miles from the Polk Parkway and 6 miles from I-4 for commuting convenience.
Now that you know some of the reasons Auburndale is an amazing place to live, find your dream home and start living your best life in this laid-back, convenient, and innovative city! Our Auburndale New Home Specialists look forward to helping you find your dream home - Call or email us today!
Tags: Lakeland Auburndale Auburn Cove Enclave at Lake Myrtle Single-family homes Amenities Dog park Lakes Open space Walking Trails I-4 LEGOLAND Walt Disney World Chain of Lakes US-92 Universal Orlando
- Communities (204)
- - Astonia (4)
- - Auburn Cove (4)
- - Aviary at Rutland Ranch (8)
- - Bridgeport Lakes (7)
- - Chestnut Creek (6)
- - Eagle Hammock (4)
- - Enclave at Lake Myrtle (3)
- - Geneva Landings (4)
- - Gracelyn Grove (5)
- - Hammock Reserve (2)
- - Jackson Crossing (4)
- - Otter Woods Estates (1)
- - Ridgewood (6)
- - Scenic Bluff (3)
- - Siena Reserve (6)
- - Silver Springs Shores (1)
- - Stonebridge at Chapel Creek (10)
- - Summercrest (5)
- - Terrace at Walden Lake (4)
- - The Lakes (7)
- - Treymont (5)
- - VillaMar (7)
- Design and Decorating (77)
- En Espanol (2)
- Events (23)
- General Info (125)
- Home Buying 101 (54)
- Homeowner Tips & Info (11)
- News (266)
- Pet Friendly Homes & Communities (13)
- The Experience of Building My Highland Home (10)
- Videos (1)
- Why Buy New (34)
Recent Posts9 Advantages of Townhome Living
Tampa Real Estate Market Among Best in the U.S.
Home Design Showcase: Samsung Appliances
7 Reasons to Move to Davenport, Florida
Now Building New Construction Homes in Silver Springs Shores