Homeownership is the American Dream for most, but making the decision to purchase your first home can sometimes leave you overwhelmed with uncertainty. Like most decisions, there are pros and cons to be weighed for both options. Here at Highland Homes, we understand that purchasing your first home is one of the most important decisions you will ever make, and we are here to help by giving you five big pros for why owning a home beats renting:
- Personality — Your home is a reflection of you, and when you rent, it is hard to let your personality shine through the white walls and basic finishes. By purchasing a home, you can choose the paint, incorporate your favorite flowers in the landscaping, and if it is new construction, choose the finishes and features to make it your own. In fact, at Highland Homes, we give you the opportunity to personalize your home with hundreds of design options available at our Personal Selection Studio. From flooring to lighting to cabinets, you can design your space to your unique style and needs.
- Privacy — Everyone wants a little privacy, but when you rent an apartment, it can sometimes feel like you are sharing the space with four (or more) of your closest neighbors. Between your neighbors’ “awesome쳌 surround sound and the herd of elephants living in the apartment upstairs, it can seem like you never truly have privacy. When you purchase a new home, you don’t have to share walls with anyone and you have a yard separating you from your neighbors. While you might enjoy inviting your neighbors over for a get-together, at the end of the day it is nice to say good night and enjoy a little peace and quiet.
- Security — I’ve heard people say they feel more secure in an apartment, surrounded by neighbors who can hear through the thin walls. To me, living in the same building as dozens or hundreds of strangers who can hear my every move is the scary thing. A single family home can provide you with an even bigger sense of safety. When you purchase a new home, you can choose to install a security system while it is under construction, with state of the art features such as glass break technology. You can choose the types of locks and how many are used to secure doors and windows — plus, since no one else has lived there, no one has old keys! Additionally, you can have as big of a dog as you want — a perk that is not available in most rentals. Finally, you will have a garage to protect your vehicle, bicycle, and other outdoor toys.
- Your Schedule — As a renter, you are always living by the property management’s rules and schedule. Ever have to wait for your landlord to take care of a plumbing issue, which is very important to you but obviously not to them? When you own your home, forget having to pester the property manager to fix a broken toilet. While some cringe at the prospect of home maintenance, I’m here to tell you — the benefits of having your own home outweigh the horror of learning to use a toilet plunger. Additionally, when you purchase a brand new home, everything is shiny and new with no wear and tear (so not likely to break), and you are protected by builder and manufacturer warranties.
- Pay for the Amenities You Use — Rental properties often offer community amenities, which you are paying for in your monthly rent. If you don’t play tennis or the fitness room doesn’t have the equipment you prefer, your money is going down the drain. When you purchase a new home at one of our Florida communities, you are conveniently located to local YMCA’s, gyms and more, so that you can spend your money on the amenities that are important to you and your family.
These five reasons represent just a few perks of owning your own home, there are many additional financial and emotional benefits, as well. At Highland Homes, we help hundreds of homebuyers each year to build the home of their dreams and achieve the American Dream of homeownership. Our dedicated staff will alleviate your uncertainty by walking you through every step of the home purchase process, from finding your perfect home, through financing, construction, and even after you move in.
We build new homes designed for your life in communities throughout Central Florida, Tampa Bay, Manatee County and Ocala. With prime locations, as well as stylish home designs and affordable pricing from the low-$100,000s, you are sure to find the perfect home to call your own. Plus, qualified buyers can purchase with just $99 down, putting the dream of homeownership within your budget.
For more information on our new homes and how you can become a homeowner, visit the Highland Homes website today.
Tags: Florida home IRS first time home buyer Florida homes Home Buying Misconceptions home buying own v. rent Florida FL Central Florida homes central florida
- Communities (500)
- - Auburn Cove (2)
- - Aviary at Rutland Ranch (6)
- - Blossom Grove Estates (1)
- - Boyette Fields (5)
- - Bradford Manor (8)
- - Breakwater Cove (2)
- - Canopy Reserve (2)
- - Casara (4)
- - Devinshire Estates (5)
- - Gramercy Farms (12)
- - Harvest Landing (1)
- - Highland Meadows (19)
- - Highlands Grace (6)
- - Jackson Crossing (1)
- - Juliana Village (4)
- - Kingsland Country Estates (6)
- - Lakeside Preserve (5)
- - Laurelwood Landing (1)
- - Monticelli at Tower Lake (2)
- - Normandy Heights (4)
- - Palmer Place (8)
- - Preakness Preserve (3)
- - Sandy Pines (2)
- - Serena Ridge (2)
- - Stonebridge at Chapel Creek (13)
- - Summercrest (3)
- - The Lakes (6)
- - Towne Park Estates (14)
- - Tuscany Bay (14)
- - VillaMar (2)
- - Wilder Oaks (5)
- Design and Decorating (123)
- Events (166)
- General Info (411)
- Home Buying 101 (73)
- News (472)
- The Experience of Building My Highland Home (10)
- Videos (12)
- Why Buy New (33)
Recent PostsHome Buying 101: What is an MCC?
Living the Good Life in Davenport, Florida
Why Buy New: Low Housing Inventory in Florida
Now Selling: New Phase at Highland Meadows
Introducing New Homes for Sale in Lakeland at Harvest Landing